Hotaru no Haka


Em, to translate this it means "The tombstone of fireflies" or "The grave of the fireflies" To people who know me, I watch lots of anime. Sometimes, I become too choosy where I chose the anime with the style of drawing I like. I know there exists this movie since I was young but I don’t even bother to watch it because it is sooo not my cup of tea.

But last night, I finally sat in front of the com and finished the whole one and a half hour movie. It is specially recommended to leng luis and leng chais sekalian or for those who in a middle of chasing a gal. As her to watch the movie with you and during the movie, she sure cry like baby and you can… Eh hem… enough of the leng lui chasing tips, now for the synopsis.
This movie took place at the Second War World (I guess, not fond with the herstory) where there are a teenage boy (quite handsome) with his little sister (super cute). When their hometown kena bombed, they are forced to live with their relative bit later they shifted out to a cave. During the whole movie, there are many cham cham, kolien kolien, loving, touching and even more cham cham scenes which prevent you from closing the movie and say “What the fuck!” I shall tell you all briefly nia lor, cause I don’t want to be the spoiler. For this movie, I will give five out of five.

Strongly recommended because it is educational, makes you thing a hell lot and also drop a full pail of tears. It is more better to watch this than watching the recent anime which is good to see but crappy to digest anything from it. After watching, I think I began to appreciate food (*spoiler – cause the lil sister is so cham) and decided to treat my family and friends nicer (spend time with them and so on). Overall, I think I have evolved to a much much mature self. (Shhh... I also ended up wetting my cheeks hehehe) Here I enclosed a few synopsis I get online...

Intro
War does not only involve soldiers. During WWII, Seita and Setsuko flee from their homes one night when the air raid alarm sounds. With the fall of the fire bombs, they become orphans and homeless. This film, based the semi-autobiography by Akiyuki Nosaka, relates the tragedies of war as Seita and Setsuko struggle to survive with only each other to hold onto.
Characters

Seita
14 years old. With his father away with the Navy, he is the responsible member of the household. During the air raids, he is the one to take care of this sister while instructing his Mom to go to the shelter first. He protects his younger sister Setsuko like a parent, and tries his best to keep her safe. When she is sad, he will try to cheer her up. Believed very strongly in his father and the Japanese army. Did not believe they were going to lose. He is stubborn, perhaps stemming from pride. War made him grow up too fast. He had to see to the burial of his Mother by himself and he became his sister's protector and provider.
Setsuko
Only 4 years old. Adores her older brother Seita, and eager to help him when she can. A very happy and innocent girl at the start of the film. At times, she seems too innocent to understand the war taking place around her. When she and Seita first walk back to their town after it was completely destroyed by the air raid, she merely looks and tells her brother she needs to go to the bathroom. However, when she became aware that her Mother was dead even without anyone directly telling her so, she cried knowing that she was never coming back. After suffering so much loss, she becomes terrifed of losing her brother. He would be the one to lose her.

This boy had a more matured look compare to a grown up man.

Comments